Sunday, March 3, 2013

Taipei

The Taipei Temple
The last Saturday in January, I went up to Taipei to check it out. Taipei is amazing. It is the largest city and it is much more modern and just fun to be in. We first went to the temple. It is a very small temple compared to the Salt Lake or Oakland ones. It was fun I looked around the distribution center and the small grounds and then I went on my own adventure of Taipei. First I walked to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall. This place was amazing and when I have more time I am going to go back and explore it more and look at some of the museum parts of the hall. I just wondered around outside and for the first time I felt like I was in Asia like you think in the movies. (Not the busy crowded streets and smell and food everywhere and bright signs-I live that everyday) Like old school in history Asia-the type I would love. I seriously felt like Mulan walking through gardens and seeing the old buildings. There were people surrounding the old buildings and doing dances too and there was a huge plaza where people were gathered. It was awesome. Like I cannot even describe fully how peaceful and beautiful that place was right in the middle of the city. After that I went to the subway station which was right under the memorial. I took the subway, or MRT in Taipei, by myself. I had to switch lines half way through my travels but I just followed the colors and it worked out perfect. So thank goodness subways are color coded, and air conditioned. The stations were definetly not air conditioned and the trains were jam packed. So blasting air was so nice to have when shoved next to people, which the normal trains i take are not air conditioned.
This place was so beautiful!

Gardens and Trees were everywhere in this little sanctuary
The memorial






A church building in Taiwan

The gate to the memorial
At the MRT bathrooms there was "real time" outside the door.
You could see which stalls were open before you even enter the bathroom.


Looking back at the courtyard near the memorial


Taipei 101


I took the MRT to the Taipei main station. It's a nice train/bus/subway station. Then I walked to Taipei 101 which is the third tallest building in the world. This building is awesome. It is supposed to represent a piece of bamboo is what one local told me. It is not a tall building among other tall buildings. It sticks out very far above its surroundings. On new years eve and for Chinese New year they let fire crackers off out of the sides and the top. I tried to go to the top of the building but it was over an hour wait in line because one of the elevators was broken. I was meeting the rest of the group in an hour so I didn't pay. I just planned on coming back when I didn't have to rush. Taipei 101 also has a huge mall attached to it. A very upper class mall. It was very nice. We ate at the food court in the basement. I bought some overpriced Indian food that gave me bad heart burn. The lesson learned from this food experience- Some things look good in Taiwan-but nothing tastes as good as it looks or seems. Taipei 101 was all lit up when it turned dark and it was beautiful but cold by this time. We left from Taipei 101 and went home. I'm leaving out a lot of pictures I took because pictures just do not do justice to things that I saw and the way that I felt when I was walking around that city. I cannot wait to go back!
Taipei 101 at night
A picture inside Taipei 101 showing how tall it is compared to the rest of the city

No comments:

Post a Comment